Seton Hall has been seen as high as a 7-seed in some brackets following their stellar 90-81 win over No. 5 Xavier on Sunday at Prudential Center.
Jerry Palm of CBSSports still has the Hall in the not-ideal 8-9 game as an 8-seed and the Pirates are the second of four 8-seeds on BracketMatrix. ESPN has the Pirates in a juicy 7-10 game against VCU in Brooklyn; I wouldn’t complain if today were Selection Sunday.
According to RPI Forecast, Seton Hall would fall only a few spots to 34 in the RPI with a loss at Butler on Wednesday but a win will boost them into the high 20s.
With all that fun stuff in mind, here’s a look at some schools that are just ahead or around Seton Hall on the seeding curve and are playing through Wednesday night; Bracket Matrix seeds are to the left of their names. Noticed that most of the teams the Pirates are chasing will be playing on the road.
(10) Syracuse at No. 8 North Carolina (7et, ESPN) – Cuse is a few seeds behind SHU but a win over a top-10 Tar Hell team would change that.
(7) Dayton at Richmond (730et, NBCSN) – Dayton have lost three of their last four and have dropped way down in the bracket.
(6) Baylor at Oklahoma (8et, ESPN2) – A loss won’t hurt Baylor but a win over OU is big.
(5) Texas A&M at Auburn (9et, ESPNU) – A&M has been streaky in the SEC and they’re currently on a winning one. Auburn would be a bad loss.
(7) Texas Tech at West Virginia (7et, ESPNU) – Like Seton Hall, Texas Tech has also abandoned the bubble over the last few weeks.
Miami at (6) Notre Dame (7et, ESPN2) – The Irish have struggled over their last three but they’ve beaten 3 top-15 KenPom teams this season; can No. 11 Miami be the fourth?
(7) St. Joseph’s at St. Bonaventure (7et) – Bonaventure is right on the bubble as St. Joseph’s has followed along suit with Seton Hall and TTU over recent weeks.
(7) Wisconsin at Minnesota (9et) – Another 7-seed that the Hall is about equal with in polls and bracketology but Minnesota is 8-20 (2-14) and has recently suspended players including one-time recruit Dupree McBrayer of Patrick School.
Oregon State at (8) USC (11et, FS1) – Beavers are on the bubble while USC is slumping but about equal with SHU.