About half of the matchups had already leaked before today, but it looks like the full eight-game slate of the first-ever Gavitt Tipoff Games (AKA the Big East-Big Ten Challenge) is now known.
B1G v Big East Xavier @ Michigan Creighton @ Ind Rutgers @ St. John’s Ill @ Prov Neb @ Nova Penn St vs DePaul Iowa vs Marquette G’town vs MD
— Brian Snow (@BSnowScout) April 21, 2015
As you may have heard if you’ve been following the leaking of some of these games over the last few weeks, some of the pairings just aren’t that sexy, at least on paper. If you missed it the other day, Seton Hall is not participating this year.
Georgetown taking on local foe Maryland appears to be the the juiciest of the eight games, which don’t feature any longstanding historical rivalries. Outside of Rutgers and St. John’s, who have met on 32 occasions, the other seven matchups have only occurred 14 times before (source: Sports-Reference.com).
I did a quick ranking of the eight games and included the past head-to-head record between the pairings below.
1. Georgetown vs Maryland (Gtown 3-2)
2. Xavier @ Michigan - (UM 2-0)
3. Creighton @ Indiana - never played
4. Illinois @ Providence (PC 1-0)
5. Nebraska @ Villanova (Nova 2-0)
6. Iowa vs Marquette (Iowa 2-0)
7. Rutgers @ St. John’s (SJU 24-8)
8. Penn State vs DePaul (DePaul 2-0)